Thursday, January 9, 2014


                              Somebody “likes” Me. I Wonder Who


     Like/schmike! I wrote this profound, thought-provoking humorous essay about the way men and women communicate. I thought it was one of my better efforts. As a consistent, devoted, enthusiastic blogger who posts regularly, I was sure it would bring many “likes.” It brought none:  zero, zip, zilch, RIEN. The site on which I posted it is a new one for me, and I thought it would be a way to connect with a set of other humor writers. Some of the other posts like “How bad my hair looked when I was twelve,” and “my basement flooded last week” got over 50 likes. Que diable! (that’s French for wtf!) It occurred to me that perhaps this site was some kind of a closed society--a clique, and they just “like” each other to death so people think they’re really funny. (Not a bad schtick, now that I think about it.)

      Humor is so subjective, and I continue to be fascinated by the things people find amusing. For example, I was at a meeting this morning, and the speaker got up and simply smiled at the audience. People laughed. I was at a meeting tonight, and one of the members coughed in her armpit. People laughed. (Maybe it was because she was skyped into our meeting.)I don’t get it. It’s not that I’m trying to be a stand-up or get an award for the most hilarious woman of a certain age; it’s just that I want some likes too. Not 500 likes, necessarily--just 20 or 30 would do. 

     Tomorrow I will attend a Blogging Workshop. The instructors are seasoned bloggers, but they are not looking for laughs; they are looking for sales. Now that’s funny. In any case, I hope to learn all the secrets of the trade, so be prepared in the days ahead. In the meantime, I think I’ll just write serious shit and see who’s laughing out there. You wonder how I will know? Have you heard about this group called the NSA? I’m on the citizens advisory board. :)

BTW:  George Burns explained the difference between a stand-up and a humorist. A Stand -Up makes you laugh; a Humorist makes you THINK and then laugh. (Just sayin’. I know--you’re stuck on the think part. Never mind.)










sandramoulin@bellsouth.net
Books on Amazon.com:
Before and Laughter
Laughterwards (2013 version - 16 new essays)