Tuesday, June 10, 2014


     




     




                    Begin With the End in Mind











     


     I’ve been wracking my pea brain trying to come up with a clever graduation message for a speech I am to deliver at the end of the week. After seven decades on this planet, you would think I might have some advice to give to those just entering the “real world” in the weeks ahead. Well, I have plenty of advice, but the question is will they listen? And if they listen, will they heed my wise words? Probably not. So, what can I say that will resonate ten, twenty, thirty years from now? I would love for some twenty-something to write on facebook, “I remember my college graduation speaker who said, yada yada yada. It changed my life.” What am I smokin’ to think this could happen? I must have too much time on my hands. 

     Au contraire, maybe, just maybe there might be one young person in the audience who because I’m not his or her mother, will listen to me. So here are my ten rules for living a life of grace and dignity:

  1. Do not go anywhere without brushing, flossing and shwoshing.

  1. Listen without interrupting and take a sincere interest in others.

  1. Never stop learning.

  1. Judgment = jealousy.

  1. Avoid toxic people (even when they’re your friends or relatives.)

  1. Save money. It helps when you need to escape, reflect or just indulge yourself.

  1. Travel. It broadens your perspective and keeps you humble.

  1. Make nature and books your best friends. They will never betray you.

  1. March to the tune of your own drummer. 

  1. You are worthy just because you are.

If any of these strike a chord with you, pass them on, and remember


LAUGHTER IS CONTAGIOUS; SPREAD THE VIRUS!