Saturday, August 16, 2014


     Recalling various conversations with our Grand Rapids family, I continue to giggle. You can’t make this sh-- up--trust me. Here are just a few of the classic comments made by family members:

     When my daughter was discussing a possible family trip to see Mt. Rushmore someday, our 14-year-old grandson said, “No way, I’m not going there. Just leave me home.” Not bothered by his remark, my daughter asked, “I would love to see Mt. Rushmore. Is there a mall near there?”

      The same grandson made a humorous remark on the way to the golf course. Laughing, I said, “Do you mind if I quote you in my blog?” He quickly replied, “No. If any of my 14-year-old friends were reading your blog, I’d be more worried about them than whatever you’d say.”

     The same 14-year-old, who is usually pretty quiet, had just one thing to say repeatedly to his 8-year-old brother, “STOP TALKING!” The 8-year-old got very upset when his brother kept saying this at lunch at the country club. He got stomped off to another table. I said, “He wasn’t really talking that much.” The 12-year-old replied, “If you lived in our world, you wouldn’t say that.”

     The 8-year-old’s response:  “My brothers are idiots.”


     Forever the pedagogue, I challenged all three grandsons (14, 12 and 8) to a contest to determine who could remember the most United States Presidents. They had two days to learn all the names from rulers I brought them purchased on a recent trip to D.C. The winner would get $20 cash. The 12-year-old said, “I’m out. My brother will win.” I said, “Your choice. You sure won’t win, if you don’t try.” The 8-year-old said, “I’ll try.” The 14-year-old, who was not there when I proposed the challenge apparently started studying the minute my daughter gave him his ruler. After dinner at a local restaurant, the boys began writing their answers on the backs of their paper menus. The 14-year-old gave a couple of answers to his youngest brother, but the teen’s studying paid off, winning with 27 Presidents. When the $5 concession prizes were distributed and the teen gloated in his winnings, I was amazed that they all gave the money to their mom to put in their savings accounts. (YAY!) My son-in-law said, “I want to be my kid.”










My daughter did not give me permission to post any family photos except the one attached. Thus, Fifi and Otis --two Frenchies photo-opping from the floor.