Tuesday, September 23, 2014

     On a recent trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains, we pulled off at several “Overlooks.” This led me to think about how this concept could be applied to my daily living. I have since put a sign at the front door,“Overlooks Ahead.” This indicates to all incoming guests that there are things in our house that they should “overlook.”

Here is a partial list:

  1. cobwebs in northeast ceiling corner
  2. all fridge shelves
  3. blueberry stain on kitchen floor
  4. yellow leaves on plant in sunroom
  5. dust on chandelier in living room

     I often wonder just how closely our guests scrutinize my cleaning job. I start at least a week before any dinner party scrubbing, scouring, dusting, puffing, shaking, patting, fluffing, brushing, kicking, rubbing, plumping, and the “ings’ go on. I would love to be a fly on the wall and observe which guests run their fingers along woodwork, move their hands along the shower door, straighten the artwork in the bathroom that insists on shifting slightly left just to annoy and render dizzy whoever is on the throne.My mother (who hired her cleaning done) always said, “Bathrooms and kitchens must be spotless.” Easy for her to say when our cleaning woman was on her knees scrubbing the kitchen floor while my mother was launching a bowling ball down an alley.

     I have asked myself, “Do I overlook things in my friends’ homes?” Truth be told, I am so busy talking, sipping and giggling, it never occurs to me to look at things much less feel compelled to “overlook” anything. If I am the rule, why on earth am I killing myself with scrub brushes and feather dusters? I should spend my time watching  “Bowling for Dollars.”