Wednesday, September 17, 2014

                                                 











                                                      Saving for the Future

     I totally believe in saving for the future; however, my definition of “future” may differ from that of Mr. Wonderful. “Future” to me means anytime after this minute. If I can save $8 on the grocery bill, that’s $8 I can put toward my Vince Camuto booties tomorrow morning at Macy’s. Macy’s believes in the “future” too, as it has great sales at least every couple of weeks. Unfortunately,there is no Macy’s within 200 miles of here, but online sales with free shipping do the trick nicely.

     I know there are some events in the “future” for which I will need to save. There’s the Executive Club Ball, the Symphony Opening Night, movies at the mall. For each of these events, serious pre-planning is in order. Now there are very few resources available since being retired, so I must be very creative in my “robbing-Peter-to-go-to-the-mall” strategy. Peter is my invisible friend. Unfortunately, his bank account is also invisible. I have found some creative ways, nonetheless, to find money for the “future” such as

  1. cutting back on food
  2. filling the gas tank 1/2 full
  3. asking our friends to bring the main dish instead of the appetizers
  4. reducing his clothing allowance
  5. canceling his magazine subscriptions
  6. turning off the electricity

     Now, it’s obvious that some of these strategies may risk great bodily harm, but that’s half the adventure. omg. Think he’d miss ESPN?