Tuesday, November 18, 2014

















                                                 Thanks, Al. I needed that!


      I was one of those people who always felt ashamed that I wasn’t invited to belong to Mensa. One day, however, an extremely astute educator, Howard Gardner, American psychologist and Professor of Cognition and Education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, came out with the theory of “Multiple Intelligence.” One purpose of his findings was to educate teachers about how to teach to different kinds of intelligences--not just the super-smartie-left-brainers. As a former teacher, I was thrilled to discover this information on more than one level. First, I realized that I am one of those with a different combination of intelligences--not just the left brain kind. I was comforted to find that my musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal and emotional intelligences had some value, and they are crucial to the way I learn and, ultimately, to the way I teach. Secondly, I found that by targeting in each of my students the specific intelligence of the nine he identifies, I was able to construct lessons that would address these various categories, and students could learn in the unique way specific to their needs.  

     Everyone knows that Big Al up there wasn’t the best student. I am not sure I could have carried on an “intelligent” conversation with someone with hair like that, but I think he was very wise.