Sunday, January 4, 2015

                         Four O’Clock Focus


     There are advantages to waking up in the middle of the night and getting up rather than getting annoyed. I have discovered that I am not a tossing/turning kind of gal. Nope, I am a “get-up-and-get-on-with-it” early riser. 

    No one in her right mind would intentionally get up at this ungodly hour, but you can get all kinds of shit done, and there are also some fascinating programs on television. This morning, for example, I watched the Los Angeles Philharmonic perform Rhapsody in Blue with a pianist who had hands the size of a polar bear. If you are looking for a dose of depression, there’s always the news.  A month ago, we watched the Roosevelt series, and we missed a couple of episodes. There they were this morning, on public television. If you want to be spiritually inspired, there are religious programs on a channel or two, and there’s always the cartoon and Spanish networks. 

     I admit, due to the fact that I’m retired, I can go back to bed once Mr. Wonderful has crawled out of it. This is a luxury that I still covet after almost ten years of retirement. For over 30 years, I got up at 4:30 a.m. to work out before heading to inspire the youth of America. My catch-up time was always on the floor in deep slumber next to our old cat, Pokey, from 3p.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily. Now, I can sleep in our dough mattress pad cocoon, complete with heating blanket and noise machine. Ah, the luxuries of the golden years. (Btw, where’s the gold? We went for it, but it escaped).

      It is 6:15, almost time for bed, and I have been educated, nourished, inspired, musically moved, and I’ve even checked out the Macy’s One-Day Sale (expires today). Life is good. Night night.

P.S.  Culprit:  Diet coke at 6:00 p.m./ sweet bread at 11:00 p.m. Sugar wears off about four hours after falling asleep. Duh.