Thursday, January 8, 2015

     Some of my friends imply by their disapproving expressions that my napping in the afternoon is lame. They know that I wake up between 3:30 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. daily, and that’s basically four hours earlier than the rest of the retired world. Nonetheless, I sometimes feel judged that my afternoon slumber is a character flaw or a feckless habit. Well, guess what? I discovered this morning that 11, count ‘em E L E V E N famous people napped daily. This means I am among almost a dozen of the most creative and highly successful individuals in history.      
Here is my nap clique:

Thomas Edison
Leonardo DaVinci
Connie Mack
Winston Churchill
John F. Kennedy
Napoleon 
Eleanor Roosevelt
Ronald Reagan
John D. Rockefeller
Gene Autry

     Another fascinating fact is that some of these historical icons took naps before performing. That is somewhat unusual, as one would think that stage fright would prevent sleep, but apparently not so. Not only did these people take naps, some took multiple naps during the day. 

     All of the above are considered “creative,” and I would label myself in that category. For years, I believed I was not as smart as many I encountered. Maybe, I’m not, but creative I am, and for those of us in that category, a daily nap regenerates and rejuvenates. 

     Là là lère (that’s “so there” in French:)