Saturday, January 17, 2015

     Through the years, various people have told me I need to “chill.” With temps in the 20s and 30s, this is a no-brainer. That is not what they meant, of course; they meant, relax. I have found a direct disparity between relaxing and following my natural instinct to set goals, work my ass off to complete them and stand tall after a job well done. How do you relax while you’re trying hard, while you’re spending hours, days, weeks on a project, while you’re pushing through moments of frustration and roadblocks? The new movement (which has actually been around for centuries) is Meditation. Yup. Set the goals aside, put the keyboard to sleep and sit on your cheeks, eyes closed and palms upward. 


     I have tried this on numerous occasions through the years. What usually happens is that I fall sound asleep within the first four minutes, waking up with drool on my palms and one side of my hair matted down. How has this helped me relax? I’ve just lost an hour of productivity, and I can’t remember why. 

     They say that meditation has to become second nature; you have to build it into your day. So I added it to my “To Do” list. At 5:30 a.m., my list looks like this:

5:30 a.m.  Answer e-mails
5:40 a.m.  Write daily blog
6:00 a.m.  Watch morning news
6:30 a.m.  Meditate
6:41 a.m.  Begin to tackle goals
11:46 a.m. Eat lunch
12:20 p.m. Workout
1:12 p.m.   Continue tackling goals
2:49 p.m.   Take nap
4:00 p.m.   Think about dinner
4:01 p.m.   Tackle goals
5:24 p.m.   Begin preparing dinner
5:32 p.m.   Tackle goals
6:29 p.m.   Turn on News and eat dinner
7:05 p.m.   Continue tackling goals
10:00 p.m. Watch favorite programs
11:15 p.m.  Think about goals before going to bed
3:00 a.m.    Eat first breakfast


     This list has not proven effective in the “chill” category. Maybe I’m doing something wrong. I want to do this meditation thing correctly. I think I will order a disc from Amazon, get out that “Meditation for Dummies” book that I think I put in the laundry room somewhere. I should probably call the “Count Your Raisins” instructor from the course I took in 1978, and I think maybe a Yoga class might help. I need to make a new “To Do” list. I will figure this out no matter what.


(If you know someone who could relate, please share:)