Friday, February 6, 2015

     With all the hype about vaccinations, I would like to announce that there is no shot to prevent laughter, nor should there be. The world needs more of it, and if you can help spread some, we would all be better off. Let’s hear it for the laughter syringe, the pun pill, the giggle girdle, the guffaw diet, the chuckle capsule.

     Some people act as though they’ve been immunized, however. These people look so constipated. They walk around with their faces and bodies all scrunched up tight. Their faces say, “I dare you to make me laugh.” Do these people have a tragic past? a dark secret? a jumbo mortgage? 

     Some people walk around with a big grin; others just smirk all day. They are a bit weird, too, I admit, but at least they have laughter potential. Did you know that laughter actually changes our brain chemistry and makes us feel good? We can even fake the laughter, and it produces the same result; the brain doesn’t know the difference.

     Did you ever think about how often you laugh or with whom? If you find yourself laughing and say to yourself, “Omg, I’m laughing,” that’s a sign you don’t do it very often. If you always laugh with a certain person or group, you are missing an important daily feel-good-fix if you don’t pursue them. If you hear yourself describe someone by saying, “He/She always makes me laugh,” then you need to spend more time with that person. I have a friend who always makes me laugh. He doesn’t try; it is just how he words things. He is very self-deprecating, and he always tells stories about himself with a totally straight face. I can’t remember when I’ve actually seen him laugh out loud. But I am always holding my stomach listening to his tales. That’s why I enjoy his company.
Thanks, mon vieux!


     
Based on the little research I have done on this topic, I have learned that children laugh much more than adults. By the time they are in high school, their laughter is much more guarded, and the “I-have-to-be-cool” germ has infected them sometimes to the point of laughter paralysis. This is truly sad. When Mr. Wonderful and I frown at each other when people are laughing loudly at the table next to ours, disturbing our quiet dinner,  we need to get a grip and laugh ourselves. Our message should be, “Boy, they’re having a good time. Let’s try it ourselves.” 

                             LAUGHTER IS CONTAGIOUS; SPREAD THE VIRUS