Sunday, March 29, 2015

Tap Tap Tap

     What is it with men tap-tap-tapping every time they sit down anywhere for more than ten minutes? I always thought it was just Mr. Wonderful, but after watching my male colleagues at staff meetings, I realized that several men were doing the same thing. It’s no big deal, I suppose, unless you are sitting in a pew at church, and the tapping makes the heads of the people at the end of the pew bounce like bobble heads. 

     This morning, the Palm Sunday service was very quiet and reflective. Fortunately, Mr. Wonderful remained still except for keeping time with the bongo drum. I wanted to tap his knee in a “cut-it-out” motherly way, but I refrained. I knew what the consequences would be, and I didn’t want to lose my chance for his turn to buy my favorite French toast at the local breakfast joint. 

     Why can’t they just sit still? When children are little, parents usually tell them to sit still, at least, that’s what I heard in my day. Boys must get away with more than girls, as they are allowed to tap-tap-tap, fart-fart-fart and even fall asleep in the middle of sermons. I don’t get it. What happened to equal rights? What happened to decorum? Will the Double Standard always reign? Not in my kingdom. He knows what will happen if he tries to cross the Queen once too often:)