Sunday, March 8, 2015

Today, I am proud to share with you my daughter’s facebook posting about raising our four beautiful grand-daughters. So proud of her. How she does it, I have no idea. Two was all I could handle, and I wasn’t that great at that. She works full time and, like so many moms, carts them here and there to their activities and deals with the issues of the moment. I get tired just reading what she does. I am grateful she inherited my energy and not my patience:)

"The world promises you comfort, but you were not made for comfort, you were made for greatness"-Pope Benedict
Parenting is difficult. I vacillate between thinking I do a decent job 
to "Holy hell, please let one of them turn out okay."
Most days we do okay, until I run into pretty much anyone we don't know, anywhere we go......
I read this article and laughed and teared up at the same time. Most days, this is how it goes when you have more than 2 young children. People are generally horrified. They're not sure if you're the coolest thing ever, dumb, really f ing dumb, and most assume that this "happened to you" and there is NO WAY you possibly chose it?! (That's technically true with my twins. Who knew you could drop two eggs while you slept?)
The reality is I did choose this of my own free will. Yep, we had 4 children in 3 years. There are definitely moments I go in my dark closet and curl into the fetal position. However, these little girls have brought us more joy than words can express.
Can they self-regulate? No!🙅 Do they clean up after themselves? No! Do
they have tantrums in public places? Yes! Does that embarrass me? No!You see, these little varmints with our DNA light up the world. They make people smile, they create aching belly laughs, they see the world with a lens that defies color or race, and they do look angelic when they sleep and turn devilish when they wake.
So yes, I CHOSE, (asleep or not), to bring their light into the world. I certainly intend for them to never let anyone dim those heart lights.
It is EXHAUSTING. It is tedious. It is really difficult to raise kids in a world that often wants to silence them. It is not comfortable some days. But it is as Pope Benedict points out, GREATNESS! 

👭👭