Tuesday, April 21, 2015

HYPROCISY

     Who hasn’t been a hypocrite? I tell my kids not to eat fat and processed food, as I put sugary catsup on my hot dog and stick a tiny Butterfinger bar in my back pocket. We’ve all done it, and we will continue to do it. The rub, however, is how great the crime. If we are telling people not to be violent as we register our guns, then perhaps that’s a different story. Our minister Sunday suggested that when we look at the people we hold in awe---athletes, movie stars, political icons, rock legends, maybe we are the hypocrites when they fall from grace. 

     He said that we hold these people up like gods when they’re winning trophies, elections and national titles, but when they fall from their pedestals, we are all there lapping up the dirt with grins on our faces. Think about people like Lindsay Lohan, Brian Williams, Tiger Woods, Aaron Hernandez. Twitter was all aglow and columnists had a feeding frenzy when each of these people erred, yet we were all there cheering them on when they were on the way up. Maybe we caused the fall by making them larger than life. Our man of the cloth suggests that perhaps we are all bullies. Hmm. Food for thought.


     I hope I am not a bully, and if I am, shame on me. I encounter bullies every day from trying to merge at a construction site to trying to get a word in edgewise when some know-it-all can’t stand not being the center of attention. What can we do about bullies? Still workin’ on that one. What can I do about hypocrisy? Make sure I am not talking out of both sides of my pie hole:)