Friday, April 10, 2015

     Stephen King and I have some common traits and attitudes. At 3:00 a.m. when I was filling the hours before returning to my sleep nest, I stumbled on an interview of the master of terror. Mr. King is four years younger than yours truly, and he has been married to one woman for 44 years. I’ve only chalked up 41 (with two lucky guys), and although Mr. King has sold over 350 million books and I’ve only self-published two, and although he has written over 200 short stories, and I’ve only written three, our lives have a few parallels. Despite the fact that I can’t read his work because it gives me nightmares for weeks, I have great respect for this prolific author whose genre and talent rock shelves and screen. If you aspire to becoming a writer, his book on writing is an absolute must read.

     Here are some questions posed by Vanity Fair in its 2013 Anniversary issue:
(Mr. King’s answer is the first; mine, the second) My cyber numbering system thinks it's number 1:)

  1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?  Time to read. A top-down drive in our sports car through the serpentine mountain roads of France with Mr. Wonderful.

  1. What is your greatest fear?  Alzheimers. That I can no longer wear my stilettos.

  1. What trait in yourself do you deplore?  Doing what others expect so I don’t disappoint them.  My over-sensitivity.

  1. What is your favorite journey?  To Florida by highway. From the kernel of a creative idea to its realization.

  1. What is your most over-used expression?  “I’ll do my best.”  “I’ll do my best.”

  1. What was your happiest moment?  My last day of teaching when I became a writer.
     All my days in the classroom.

  1. What has been your greatest achievement?  Staying married. Believing in myself.

  1. What is your most marked characteristic?  Tenacity. Tenacity.

  1. What characteristic do you most admire in men?  Generosity.  Sensitivity.

  1. What characteristic do you most admire in women?  Generosity. Taking risks.

  1. What is your motto?  “Do it till you’re satisfied.” “Do it till you’re satisfied.”

  1. What talent would you most like to have?  To play the slide guitar. To be a 4.5 tennis player.