Tuesday, May 26, 2015

     I always know that when certain things occur early in the morning, they are signs of what kind of day it will be. This morning, the noise app died at 3:43 a.m. providing me with a Dolby Sound version of Mr. W’s snoring and sending my heart palpitations into over-drive. Plugging the I-phone into the wall and praying the pink noise would resume quickly, I tossed and turned myself back into a half-sleep waking up when, in my dream, my friend was streaking my cocktail party. oh my. 

     Rolling my eyes and forcing a smirk, I headed up my daughter’s steps to the coffee pot. There was one cup left, so I put it into her microwave at 1.5 minutes (just like at home). Ooops. Coffee all over the microwave and 1/4 cup left for me to start my day.
Hmm.

     I promptly made another pot and sat down to write my morning blog. The words just flowed as I chewed my Autumn Wheat, the warm Arizona sunshine streaming through the plantation shutters. I included the highlights of the first 24 hours of our visit, including some cute stories about our four darling grand-daughters (6,6, 8, and 9). Delighted with the result, I got ready to post it. I filled my coffee cup with fresh brew, and when asked to “save,” I said “Don’t save.” Wrong. The entire blog disappeared. wtf."Ok," I said to self, “it’s going to be  that kind of day, so just roll with it.” After all, it’s not like I can’t take a nap in the middle of the 102 degree afternoon. My pink noise will be ready to rock me into napville at any moment.

     Today I will attempt to play tennis on a swollen knee. It doesn’t hurt yet, so we will see what a few rushes to the net will bring. After tennis, we always go to breakfast at our favorite spot. If they are out of the Brioche French toast, I will know that heading for the pink-noise-nap will be imminent. 

     Some decisions must be made today, so I pray that my fresh-brew-brain will provide me with great wisdom. I used an awful lot of memory cells yesterday playing the Memory Game with the 6-year-old and 8-year-old. They both have photographic memories, but I told myself that they had an advantage as they both knew the Dr. Seuss characters better than me. I told them I never liked green eggs or ham. They didn’t react. 


     My daughter recounted incredible stories of 40-something needy men, pre-teen crystal-meth users and parents who must lie awake at night trying to figure out how to destroy the educational system. Thank heavens, she has become an expert on digital cyber-bullying, and she is out trying to educate parents and kids about the dangers of cyber ignorance. Lord knows, I don’t know half of what she’s talking about, but it worries me that our grand-children will be dealing with invisible, destructive enemies. Oh,my.

     After 24 hours away from home, I wish we had this kind of sunshine. I wish we could have a couple days a week of children under foot. I wish we had mountains to hike less than 10 minutes from home. I wish I could look out at sunset and see the charcoal silhouette of majestic mountains. I wish my knee was not swollen so I could hike for the next seven days straight. I am thankful, however, that I don’t have to worry about four lunches, four different sports events, four temperaments and needy men. I am thankful I am healthy so I can enjoy my family and live their adventures vicariously through their stories. 

    Now, let’s see what the rest of the day will bring. Oops. I just spilled my coffee on my brand new nightshirt. 

     


     












                                                                                      Pépé's  Birthday Present