Thursday, July 23, 2015

     One would think that after the over 500 blogs that have appeared on this site that on my birthday I could come up with something profound, memorable or at least clever. Hmm. Should I talk about what I’ve learned this year? what I’ve regretted in my life? what I still hope to accomplish? Who really cares? Should I get on my soapbox and speak my tiny mind? Should I run for President? I can’t be more laughable than a few of the recent candidates, and I know I can come up with some outrageous promises. No. I think I will defer to the experts; the ones who have endured the test of time. As I am in the “old” category for anyone over 12, here are some quotes which soften the blow of adding a year to my resume:


Eleanor Roosevelt:

Beautiful young people are accidents of nature,but beautiful old people are works of art.


Picasso:

Youth has no age.


Henry Thoreau:

None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm.


Did you know that:

Peter Roget invented the Thesaurus at 73?

Laura Ingalls Wilder didn’t get to publish her book, “Little House on the Prairie,” until she was well into her 60s?

Garrick Saito began his Kentucky Fried Chicken chain at 65.

Grandma Moses began painting in her 70s.


I am preparing my second one-woman show, hopefully to perform by late fall. I hope to help our Wilmington Symphony to new heights as we launch a major Pops program in March with a Beatles Extravaganza at our gorgeous new concert hall downtown. I hope to help create a Toastmaster Chapter for high school students, and I hope that God’s gifts of boundless energy and a compassionate heart see me through the potholes of my journey. 

I am grateful for beautiful daughters, precious grandchildren, a loving and tolerant husband, wonderful giving friends and and a motivation to make a difference. Happy Birthday to moi.

Humbly, “Fifi.”