Tuesday, September 15, 2015

     People are so strange. I am glad I’m not people. Tonight in my conversational Italian class, yup, that’s C O N V E R S A T I O N al—-meaning learning how to use the language to communicate with another person, a man asked, “So who invented the Italian language?” What? What’s that got to do with anything? Now as a former foreign language teacher, I learned early on that answering an irrelevant question in detail was a death sentence. Twenty seconds into such an answer meant you had lost the entire class, and chaos would ensue. Unfortunately, the darling young instructor took the bait last night, and fifteen friggin’ minutes later, we got back to how to say, “My name is Sally.” 

     People do the strangest things. I didn’t sit down last night to watch the program about pet tigers that was blaring as I walked into our family room after my Italian class. The tiger was having his butt wiped by his master, and then the master was demonstrating how he had to clean up the tiger’s vomit. Are you kidding me? And this is something we all want to watch to get our jollies? omg.

     What ever happened to Lassie Come Home and The Lone Ranger. Were people weird then too? I remember crying to every episode of Lassie and naming my baby doll Silver. Hmm.