Monday, September 14, 2015


“Sensation-seekers thrive on new, intense, and varied situations. Their personalities are associated with risk-taking because sensation-seeking drives individuals to seek out highly stimulating experiences, which often include risk. Sensation-seekers have strong positive reactions to intense stimuli. While there are many constructive aspects of this personality type, those with this trait often take more risks, are more impulsive, and become bored more easily. In certain ways, a sensation-seeking personality is an asset - such individuals thrive on stress, action, uncertainty, and challenge. In other ways, it is a liability - they may take outlandish risks. Low sensation-seekers, on the other hand, are reliable, can handle
monotony, and prefer to sleep on their decisions. They avoid novel and stimulating experiences.

According to your results, you are a sensation seeker. Sensation-seeking can take the form of searching out harmless yet invigorating stimuli such as art or music, or traveling to an exotic locale. It can also refer to more dangerous risks, intended to achieve an adrenaline rush. You seek out new experiences, and may become bored by repetitive, routine tasks. While you enjoy the thrill of risk-taking, your behavior is rarely extreme or reckless.”




     I am fascinated by psychological tests, regardless of their validity. I find it amusing to answer weird questions about my attitudes and preferences and see in what category some “experts?” would place me. The evaluation above describes me as a “sensation-seeker.” I would have to agree that this is me to a great extent. Psychology Today has numerous self-tests available, if you find yourself unable to sleep at 3:00 a.m. or if you arise at 4:37 a.m. and don’t feel like working on your dissertation or watching “Flavio’s Flip-a-House” video on tv. 

     For some who might be magazine-diagnosed like me with the above label, “sensation-seeker,” it is exciting to discover that our impulsive and adrenaline-rush-addicted personalities are cast in a somewhat positive light. If you, too, are a “Sensation Seeker,” and are 25 reading this, you are probably planning your next sky dive. If you are 48, you are probably working on your next small business launch. If you are 72, like me, you are probably thinking, my friends would agree with this diagnosis and would still label me “crazy.” I like “crazy.” It means I’m still thriving, learning, seeking adventure and still paddling in the fast lane of the mainstream, big toe sticking out of my peep-toe stilettos.
     It’s almost 6:00 a.m. I can’t just sit here babbling on and on about me. I have rocks to climb and books to write. It’s your turn. What test will you take? Did you agree with the findings?