Thursday, October 29, 2015









          The Keys to Happy













      Sometimes we have to make financial decisions; that is, those of us who don’t have the luxury of buying everything we ever wanted. I can’t say I have ever deprived myself of much, but I have known what it’s like to work four jobs and put two daughters through college on a single salary. That was a long time ago. Fast forward 25 plus years. 

     The “fixed income” in retirement sucks. “Fixed” means that someone decided you have had enough fun, and it’s time to pull in the reins. Well, Rudolph, this sleigh ain’t done gathering goodies. So today, after saving all my quarters, pennies, nickels, dimes and tutoring bucks, I decided to make a purchase.This wasn’t just buying a toy; it was a value judgment. I had a choice between shooting my face up with cheek puffers or buying a digital piano to practice on in the middle of the night when I have nothing else to do but watch reruns of The Big Bang Theory and inhale Autumn Wheat squares. 

     This puppy is so sweet. It plays just like a real piano and sounds almost like one. The “weighted keys” mimic the touch of a real piano so when I practice, the touch is almost the same. When Mr. Wonderful is dreaming of taking me to Bali, I can be upstairs with my giant headphones on my ears practicing to my heart’s content. Or when he’s taking his third nap of the day, I can do the same. Or when he’s pissed off at the phone company for screwing up the bill for the 19th month in a row, I can practice in silence. When we travel to Michigan for 13 hours in the ice and fog, I can hang out in the back seat and play my scales while he listens to Eric Clapton’s last 24 discs. 

     Ain’t technology grand? I hope so. Stay tuned.