Thursday, March 24, 2016



                                                             
                                                           STOLEN SCHTICK

     The above title might sound like a German dessert, but it applies to today's blog. If you don't have any good material yourself (and I don't), then steal someone else's schtick. Today I choose one of my favorite comedians whose humor spanned the spectrum from "right on" to "far-out-vulgar," but who always made me think. After listening to today's depressing headlines, I find a small amount of solace in George Carlin's laughable legacy. The topics are mine, the words his.

Presidential Election:

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

"In America, anyone can become President. That's the problem."

Air Disasters:

"If the black box flight recorder is never damaged during a plane crash, why can't the whole airplane be made out of that stuff?"

Life:

"I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed."


     I am reading Brené Brown's new book, actually I am reading the "Sample" of her book, as I'm too cheap to actually buy it yet. It's about vulnerability and risking. If I had all the confidence in the world, and I was pretty sure that the "new normal" in the universe will take me out soon, I would add a humorous component to my one-woman show. I would risk being silly like Victor Borge did and make people laugh as well as endear them to my dilettante diva music schtick. I am not there yet, as I still worry about recovering from public humiliation. Based on the above, however, humor is simple and quite logical. Ah, to have the intellect and comic gene of this now sadly-departed genius--hmm, maybe in my next life.

How about you? Could you stand on stage and perform in front of hundreds of people? Could you write a book and hope it sold? Could you do something that all your friends say, "I could never do that!" How vulnerable will you allow yourself to be? Do you subscribe to the "be safe" or "put it out there" philosophy? If it's the latter, how would you recover if you failed?