Sunday, April 3, 2016

                       What Would You Do If I Double-Dog Dared YOU?


“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

     This is one of my very favorite quotes. It energizes me. It gives me the strength and courage to ignore the negative voices, even those of my loved ones and friends who are afraid for me. I think those close to me might just be afraid for themselves, afraid that perhaps I will embarrass them as well as me if I mess up.Well, if you sit around worrying about messing up, you will do nothing. 

     I strongly believe that no matter how old we are, how tired we are, how scared we are, we all have a talent, a skill, a trait to share. Rather than framing it as I used to, “Why would anyone want to read or listen to my writing or my music?” let’s reframe, and say to ourselves, “I have a God-given talent to share, and I owe it to the world to put it out there.” 

     I have three more performances this spring. Am I scared? You betcha.
Am I afraid I might mess up and embarrass myself? Of course. Will I do it anyway? Absolutely. Why? Because I can, and because if I touch just one person in some way or inspire one listener to dare greatly, I will have done something to bring joy to our troubled world.  How about you?