Sunday, June 5, 2016

     One of my friends used to make fun of me because I kept scrapbooks. Well guess what? That comment was made at least 45 or more years ago, and I’ve been making scrapbooks ever since. What’s the point, you may ask? The point is, that when you have some leisure time (like when you’re packing box after box for your upcoming move out of state), you can sit down and see years of your life from a different perspective.

     This afternoon, I was finishing up a box of miscellaneous things in my “woman cave,” when I came across a couple of huge files that never got put into the scrapbooks. I went through each one piece by piece, and I relived one entire year of my life. I read beautiful notes from a dear friend who is no longer with us. I read compliments from friends who have moved away or whom I don’t see anymore. I read thank you notes from friends who took the time to actually pen them. The result was touching and gratifying. 


     Friendships are so precious, and our lives are so full of Stephen Covey’s “urgent” quadrant, we often don’t take the time to savor what we have or had. I have savored today, and I am so humbled and grateful that I didn’t listen to that friend all those years ago.