Wednesday, June 8, 2016

     For those of you who are tired of reading about my friendship beliefs, I apologize. For those of you who need better friends, are better friends or have wonderful friends, perhaps my words this morning will resonate. Here are the qualities of friendship that make it very difficult for me to move away. 

     I love my friends who

are genuine

who enjoy our connection and value it

who trust me and respect my opinions

who recognize my weaknesses but don’t prey on them

repeat compliments they hear about me from others

give compliments to me and others freely and sincerely without expecting anything in return

who ask my advice because I have earned their trust

who confide in me about personal things and don’t abandon me because I know those things

who share in my joys as well as my sorrows

who never throw anything I’ve said or done in my face

who don’t judge

who celebrate our mutual strengths as well as our vulnerabilities

who share similar values

who care enough to offer help but recognize when I need to walk the path alone

who never one-up

who are humble
who are interesting, fun and mostly positive

who know I am hurting when I may not have said a word

who know my passions and support me in their own way

who know I may change my mind at any second and are all right with that

who are in touch with their own feelings enough to understand mine

     
     People have said to me, “Oh, you are so outgoing, you won’t have any trouble making friends.” Well, I don’t totally agree with that, but I recognize that they are trying to be nice. I will make many acquaintances, a few of whom may become friends, but I leave you with my girl scout mantra:

              “Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold.” 

Trite but true.