Wednesday, July 6, 2016

     Some people wonder how I can rise and shine at 4:00 a.m. Others think I’m crazy or stupid. It is what it is, and I do what I do regardless of rime or reason. The good news is that I get an extra 3-4 hours to do my own thing in total silence before the world even thinks about fluttering an eyeball. Yay. The down side, however, is that I begin my descent into stupid about 2:00 p.m. when many others are at the peak of their 24.

     Today, July 4th, is the first day since moving south that I have awakened this early. I have already planned my day, written three long emails on my I-phone and had a delicious breakfast. I have come up with two new blog topics, and I’ve made some decisions about my 2017 Gershwin concert. In a moment, I will head to the ivories (with headphones) and do my early practice before Mr. Wonderful comes shuffling out of the marital nest.

      Now some women would be checking out recipes. Nope, pas moi. Some ladies would be thinking about their gardens. Nope, pas moi. Still other females would be planning their dinner parties. Tu blagues?

     The beauty of being retired, and now living poolside, I can plop down on a beach towel with a book at any time during the day and catch up on my zzz. No commitments yet (we only know 9 people here), no deadlines except memorizing the Florida driver’s handbook so I can pass the test on Thursday, and no expectations. It’s all too good to be true.

     A friend said to me the other day, “I am so amazed by your energy and drive.” I thanked her humbly and replied, “I pay a price for both.” And I do. My price would prevent most people from ever leaving their pillows, but A chacun son goût. (To each her own).  Time to hit the Hannon.
What do you do that no one would ever think of doing? We all have admirable traits I have a friend who is always cheerful, another who spends most of her time helping others, another who is a terrific golfer, another who has Masters points in bridge, another who makes beautiful scarves and shawls, another who is a walking miracle, surviving cancer for over 5 years, another who makes to-die-for-Christmas cookies. The friend who is amazed by my energy and drive has many admirable traits, not the least of which is complimenting me in public. Beautiful.


How about you? What traits do people admire about you? Which ones would you like people to admire? Would you like to trade a trait?