Wednesday, August 3, 2016

                         ANONYMOUS




     How long has it been since you’ve walked out of your house, gotten in your car and driven somewhere where you didn’t see a single familiar face for an entire day? Even when I wasn’t meeting a friend for lunch, running a meeting or doing my grocery shopping, I always saw someone I knew. I used to chat with the lady at the cleaners (my friend, Ruth), hug the produce stocker (Greg), laugh with the local cobbler (Jimmy). When you move to a place where you know no one, it’s a strange feeling to be anonymous. I don’t feel invisible, but I do feel anonymous. There are two opposing elements to this feeling:  freedom and loneliness. I get to choose which one on which to focus. 

     I wrote to a good friend last night and told her that I get all dressed up in my skirt and stilettos to go to the grocery store or to the post office. No one makes eye contact, so I could have gone naked. (That would have gotten someone’s attention, Lord knows whose:) So why do I put on my make-up, fuss with my curls and match my shoes if no one knows me or cares? Because I know me, and I care. I always want to look my best. After all, you never know when that guy from Candid Camera might just show up in the Publix parking lot.

     I am reminded of all the “anonymous” quotes I’ve read over the years. These are a few favorites. My own original Sandy quote that I hope will be etched on my tombstone is:

                                     LAUGHTER IS CONTAGIOUS; SPREAD THE VIRUS.

     If we can’t laugh, we are doomed. My daughter is giving a very important presentation today, and her luggage was sent to another city. She posted her awful, but hilarious story on face book, and her friends are all laughing. Look at the joy she spread already, and the stores aren’t even open yet. We have to find humor in this violent, vulnerable world, or we will all be drawn into the quagmire of despair.

     What quote do you live by? What does your inner voice say when something annoying happens to you? Whose words get you through the tough times? What words do you want echoed from your grandchildren’s lips?