Friday, September 23, 2016

Dear Daddy:

I hope you are up there playing your guitar and entertaining the other angels. I know there have to be magnificent pianos up there too, so maybe you’ve got your own little clique and you play the piano while they sing along and harmonize. I miss harmonizing with you. I’ll never forget the last time we sang “Till We Meet Again” on the porch of the rehab facility, the sun shining on us as we rocked and shared our music.

The world has gone mad since you left; that is, if we choose to focus on that part of it. There are random mass shootings, there are political hate rallies, there are terrorist attacks that rob families of loved ones, and there continue to be wars all fought in the name of religion. No matter how I try to make sense of it, I can’t. It breaks my heart to feel so powerless, and I worry about my kids and my grand-children. The little ones never knew a world of hop scotch and Red Rover, of The Good Humor Man and double-feature movies. They only know I-pads and ear plugs. I am very proud, however, that both our girls have kept our little ones busy with music and sports so they learn the beauty of a melody and the joy of the team spirit.

I continue to marvel at the behavior of people. Some are so kind and selfless, I feel guilty looking in the mirror. Others are so self-focused, they see nothing but what’s in it for them. I suppose there have always been those in both categories, but I have always been fascinated by what makes people tick. Maybe that’s why I notice more than others. Yesterday, we were at a nice little lunch spot, and the man across from us kept staring at Mark. I was unaware of this until I heard Mark laughing while I was at the front counter paying the bill. He walked up with a napkin in his hand and a grin on his face. I said, “What?” He chuckled and said, “That man drew my portrait.” “What?” He explained that the man said nothing, just motioned for him to come to his table and handed him the napkin with Mark’s face drawn on it. I asked why the man drew him. He answered, “I have no idea.” People do the strangest things, but I thought that it was so sweet that this elderly gentleman found pleasure randomly drawing people at his lunch hangout. I noticed that his wife sat across from him and was admiring a plastic grocery bag from which he had obviously made a beautiful flower. 

It takes so little to put a smile on someone’s face. I imagine you are smiling a lot up there. Does the Big Guy get you all together and remind you of the Golden Rules, or do you all just follow them because you’re there? What do you do all day? Do you wear white robes? Are there golf courses up there? I can just picture you putting in your long white robe, your beautiful silver wavy hair blowing in the breeze. 

We have moved to your favorite place in the world, Florida. We love it here. The skies are exquisite painted with big white puffy clouds on a bright blue canvas. Weekly sunsets humble us, and warm, friendly people have embraced us and made this transition in our final years a wonderful experience. We are grateful to be enjoying good health as we ride our bikes in the morning dew and take multiple pictures watching the sky turn pink and lavender. We are blessed.

I miss you often, and I look forward to one day sitting next to you in my white robe harmonizing. Meanwhile, I choose to keep my focus on the good “Till We Meet Again.”