Friday, September 9, 2016

                                 What Will It Say?

     What will it say on my tombstone about how many times I’ve dusted, vacuumed the straight lines from north to south, scrubbed the toilet bowls or Windexed the glass tables? What will it say on my tombstone about how much I worried about things that never happened, fretted about how thin I was or gritted my teeth about why people didn’t answer my emails? What will it say about how hard I practiced to play the Chopin runs like velvet or give my speech without an “um?” What will it say about how much dressing I put on his salad or how many squats or planks I did each day? 

                              What Will It Say?

     What will my eulogy include? How few wrinkles I had at 67? How white my teeth were at 70? How my hair looked on Saturday nights? How organized I was? How disciplined I was? How many tantrums I had? How neat my closet was or how many times I didn’t eat dessert? 

                              What Will They Remember?

    Will people remember my certificates or my smile? Will they remember my spirit or my accomplishments? Will they remember my humor or my kindness? Will they remember my designer stilettos or how I listened? Will they remember my one and only $600 dress or my sincere way  of validating? Will they remember my excellent posture or my gift of leaning in? Will they remember that I had only a few really close friends or will they remember my friendliness? 

                                      What Will They Remember?

     How do I want to be remembered? As better than or kinder than? Smarter than or humbler than? As prettier than or more compassionate than? As more talented than or more approachable than? As richer than or more generous than? As more lovable than or more loving than?

      How about you? Yup. These are things I think about at 3:00 a.m. when the world is sleeping.