Friday, September 16, 2016

     



















     


     Do you find it interesting to know what was going on in the world the day you were born? I do. Most of you probably already got one of those birthday cards that tells you this. So did I. I actually found it in a file I was cleaning out, and I thought it would be fun to do a comparison:

The year I was born: 1943
As of 2015:

People with my birthday:
Allison Krause
Woody Harrelson
Phillip Seymour Hoffman 

(these people aren’t my age, and one is gone)

Price of gas:  

.21 2.38

Price of bread:

.09 $1.43

Gallon of milk:

.62 $3.49

Stamp

.03 .49



Average cost of 3-bedroom home:

$3673 $270,200

Average income:

$2650 $51,759

New car:

none made (wtf) $31,252

President:

Franklin Roosevelt Barack Obama

Best Movie:

Casablanca Star Trek?
     So what can I take away from this? I’m old--a given. Things have changed. No shit. I can’t believe they didn’t make cars then. I’m sure they did, maybe just not my sports roadster:) What’s amazing is that one day your kids will look at you like you are some kind of relic, and they will be aghast when you show them these same comparisons. By then I imagine the following will have changed:

  1. There will be no cars. People will be flying back and forth to work.
  2. There will be no stamps, post offices or UPS. 
  3. There will be no movie theaters, restaurants. Everyone will be bored, so we’ll be week-ending in outer space.
  4. There will be no President. We will govern by bitching.
  5. There will be no food; we will just inhale pills. This will allow us more time to pack for Pluto.
  6. There will be no movie stars, as there will be no movies. We will all be stars visiting the stars.

     I know. I have too much time on my hands.