Monday, October 17, 2016

     















     My father used to tell me when I was a teen-ager, “Don’t be a sheep, be a leader.” Well, I have followed his advice in many facets of my life, but here I am in the “golden” years, and I am still trying not to be a follower. I want you all to be followers, though. Yup. I want you to follow my blog. If you do, you are counted as one of the “followers” on my blog page. I don’t know who you are unless you tell me, so you may remain anonymous. The other day, I was trying to figure out who my followers were, and I ended up signing up inadvertently to be a follower of myself. oops. That wasn’t terribly wise.

      A so-called friend once said to me, “What’s with this blog of yours? It’s all about you.” Well, fancy that. I am writing a blog about myself, my opinions, my lessons, my acquired wisdom of 70 years. Why would I do that? Because I can. If you don’t choose to follow, that is your prerogative. I don’t know if he was trying to shame or tease me, but I’m still writing, and he’s still following, so what does that tell me? Good thing, I love this guy, or I’d send him some kale.

    It’s interesting the things people say and do that get under our skin. One friend keeps telling me how “lucky” she is. Another keeps reminding me how “happy” she is. Hey, folks, anyone who has to keep hurling superlatives like this is only trying to convince themselves. It’s like the guy who is always bragging about his conquests. You know what they say about him. They all need to "follow" my blog, and they will learn some lessons about "he who laughs last."

      Being a “follower” does not make anyone less, and Lord knows, in this day and age, being a “leader” is not what it used to be. Now you can be a leader and tout all the obscene, obnoxious things you’ve ever said or done, and the masses will bow down. There are things I choose to follow and those I reject. How about you?

     Are you a trend follower? Do you always want to wear the “in” fashions, sport the trendiest hair style, drive the Car and Driver “Car of the Year?” Do you want to have the latest in home decor, the Betsy-Buff-Booty? Or, are you the “march to your own drummer” kind of person? 

     I have friends who pride themselves on being “Tech-less.” They are either so afraid or technology, annoyed by the tedium of trying to figure it out, or they think they are “leaders” because they reject progress and interpret that as “avant garde” or “enlightened.” I have no problem with their choice, but it’s much harder to communicate with them. They are not followers. Is this a good thing?

     I have friends who refuse to watch television. Now I have mixed emotions about this. If you embrace Reality TV, all you need do is read the paper. We’re living it. If you don’t appreciate mainstream TV, I can certainly understand that. Au contraire, there are at least three or four programs that might educate or enlighten you. I think they’re on during the hours of 2 a.m. and 3:23 a.m. If you’re a sports fan, then I guess you have to listen to the radio.


     How do you know if you’re a leader? I’m not talking about a leader of the country or your state government. I’m talking about a “leader” in your community, or in your circle of friends and acquaintances? Good question, Mme. Blog. I would say, if you are “leader,” you have brought a list of expectations upon yourself. People will expect you to organize, to initiate, to spend half your days creating events, meetings, parties so that the “followers” don’t have to do shit. They can just sit back and say, “Oh, she’ll plan something. I’m just waiting for the call.” Baa, baa, baa.