Friday, October 7, 2016

     Yesterday, I lost my blog. Losing a blog is no small thing, especially when the blog is the very best and most inspirational you have ever written. It will undoubtedly show up in my wtf file when I’m cyber cleaning December 31, 2024. 

     Today (excuse me, I have to stop and save this puppy, so we don’t have a repeat of yesterday’s trauma.) Ok. I have saved this piece so I’m sure none of you readers will miss a syllable.

     October 7, 2016—the 15th Friday in Florida. I never imagined when we lived in North Carolina what the 15th Friday in Florida would feel like. Why would I? I had no intention of ever spending one Friday in Florida.That story has been told. If you missed it, pm me, and I'll send you the long and short of how I ended up in "final house" #3. 

      Now that our state has been ravaged by the worst hurricane in a decade, I can understand why. I needed to add “Traumatized in the Golden Years” as a blog topic. The terror and devastation of such a storm is no topic for the funny. It does, however, bring to mind the question:  What do we take with us in case of evacuation? This question prompted another in my zany brain: What stuff is important enough to squeeze into my tiny valise?

    George Carlin did a whole bit in the 80s about “Stuff.” I remember just howling when I heard him. I went to U-tube, and there it was—-all 5:08 minutes of it. If you need a good laugh, just watch it. It will not only prompt some giggles, but it will make you think—-a characteristic of Carlin’s stand-up that many didn’t realize. George Carlin was an observer of human behavior and a commentator on American culture. He was the Molière of the 20th century. He gave us all a mirror to look at ourselves, teaching us to reflect and chuckle at our idiosyncracies and hypocrisy. I digress. Back to “stuff.”

     So my little Hurricane-ready suitcase sits on my bed. What do I put in there? In our case, we would have to go to the local elementary school down the road. This means we must take our bedding, toiletries etc. The point here is not so much what we would take and why but what we wouldn’t. If we wouldn’t take the rest, then to Carlin’s point why have it? When I think about what is stuffed in our drawers, cupboards, cabinets, closets, how much of it do we use, and why do we keep it? When you move, you tend to get rid of much of this stuff because you don’t want to lift or pack it, much less pay some fool to drive it half way across the country only to give it to Goodwill after you get there. Here is the “to take” and “to leave” list:

Take:

Expensive necklace
Dad’s tiny teddy bear from WWII (size of lemon)
underwear (conservative ones)
tennis shoes
socks
I-pad
skinny jeans
4 pairs of stilettos
2 tank tops
1 sweater
1 jacket
paper and pens
Kashi Autumn Wheat
Peanut butter
knife/spoon
napkin
workout shorts/tank
10#weights
I-phone/ear plugs
computer
chargers
Mr. Wonderful

Leave behind: Everything else


How about you? What would you take? What does this tell us about what’s valuable and necessary and what is just “stuff.” There’s cheap stuff and expensive stuff. In a crisis, neither is important, so why do we have it? George says that houses are nothing but places to store our “stuff.” If we didn’t have all this stuff, we wouldn’t need houses. We could just walk around carefree and not worry about where to put stuff, how to store stuff and how to figure out ways to get more stuff. Stuff to think about, huh?