Saturday, October 1, 2016

      I love surprises. How long has it been since someone has surprised you? Do you remember when you were a little kid, and it seemed like surprises were always hiding around the corner? Do you remember the last time you surprised someone, and they let out a huge squeal or covered their face and cried? What a terrific upper. In the past two years, I have been surprised twice, and I will never forget either time. This makes me think to myself, “What can I do to inspire a squeal today?” Maybe I need to put that one on my “to
 do” list.


      My oldest daughter was the first to surprise me. She showed up in my garage the night before Mother’s Day. I was in my nightshirt, no make-up, half awake, and I opened the back door to get something, and there she was with a big grin on her face, I-phone camera in hand. I let out a shriek that could have been heard for miles. This daughter lives 750 miles away, and she had only visited us once in the past eight years. Never would I have believed that she would have called Mr. Wonderful and concocted this scheme. She didn’t know that I was performing on stage in front of over 100 people three days later. What a thrill it was not just to have one-on-one with my precious child (now mother of 3 boys),but to have her in the audience applauding and making videos on her phone. I will never forget her thoughtfulness or the precious time we had together.

     My second daughter surprised me the following year by showing up in a large cardboard box at 9:30 p.m. Again I was in the same outfit as previously because I was ready to hop in bed. I heard a noise on the front porch, and Mr. Wonderful yelled, “I think there’s a package for you on the porch.” “A package at 9:30 at night?” I replied. I opened the door (not realizing I was being videotaped and followed on Facebook by hundreds of this daughter’s followers), and there was a box addressed to me. I looked down, and out she popped. Baby daughter from 1500 miles away. Another very loud squeal, but this time, I tried to get into the box with her! Crazy, I know, but that’s in our DNA. This daughter didn’t know that I was performing three days later for over 200 people this time, so once again, I not only had precious one-on-one time with my daughter (now mother of 4 girls), but she sat in the audience taking videos as I entertained my fans. 
     













     





     


     Throughout the years, I listened to friends relating stories about their surprise birthdays, going-away parties, anniversaries, and I was always envious. I thought to myself, I’m always the one throwing the surprise parties, but no one ever does that for me. Poor me. Little did I know that these two surprises waiting for me years later would trump any birthday or anniversary I could have imagined. Memories are gifts that no one can ever return. I will treasure those times with my daughters forever.

     So what’s the point? Instead of feeling sorry for myself because I haven’t had a surprise recently, how about surprising someone and giving that person the gift I treasure so much? Who   can I surprise today? Who can you surprise today? You don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars on airfare and rental cars. All you have to do is pick up a phone, send a text, wire some flowers. It’s not rocket science. I need to finish this coffee and make someone’s day. I’ll beat ya!