Wednesday, October 12, 2016

     




















     Every morning, I sit in front of my computer, coffee on the left, peanut butter and banana on the right. I take a big breath, exhale and begin thinking about my blog. Yup, my blog, not my “to do” list. “Write blog” is on the top of the “to do” list, so it’s a no-brainer. What taxes my brain at times is what to write about that might resonate with one, just one, of my readers. I never know who reads my tiny tidbits of titillating trivia, so unless I receive a personal message from someone, I don’t know the impact my words might have. Hopefully, I have touched a life or two each week, and if that’s true, then all my creative juices have sweetened the world.

     If I were to list the people whose prose have touched my life, I would come up with the following very short list:

Ghandi
Theodore Roosevelt
Dali Lama
John F. Kennedy
Brené Brown
Wayne Dyer
Anonymous

      These are but a few, as sometimes a single sentence will jump off a page at me. Sometimes it’s because it speaks to where I am in my life at the time, and other times, it’s because it’s so profound, I wish I had come up with it myself. The closest I have come is my mantra:

LAUGHTER IS CONTAGIOUS; SPREAD THE VIRUS

     Occasionally, I will be reading some random novel or biography, and a well-crafted description will just leap off the page, and I’ll think, “Wow. That was so beautifully worded. To write like this is a gift.” This brings me to the topic of today’s blog (for which I have been searching up to this point.) What is the purpose of writing?

     To me, the purpose of the written word is to connect. Connection is, according to Brené Brown, Researcher and best-selling author, what we are hard-wired for. If we don’t connect with others on a personal, emotional level, we are probably lonely and perhaps unhappy. The human connection is everything. Just sit alone in your house with no power for a week or two without a car or a device, and see how happy and fulfilled you feel. So, assuming you agree, then connection is crucial. The way we connect in a book is to use words to create images and feelings in our readers that have meaning for them. 

     A friend described to me yesterday the two ingredients of a successful speech: they were telling a personal story with a universal connection. Yup, that’s what most successful novelists do. They hook us on the story, but then they use some human emotion to give the story a personal quality so we feel “connected” by our own experience.

      Think of the best speech you’ve ever heard or the best book you’ve read recently. What human emotion was used as a hook and a tool to draw you in? Think of the political arena before us. Where does emotion play a role in your voting decision?


      I have my “wellness” check up with a new doctor this morning. Doctors in the past have messed up procedures, and I’ve almost died a couple of times due to their errors. How do you think I will approach a new physician? We are products of our genes, but also of our life experiences. How will this doctor earn my trust when she has no clue of my past experiences. I wish her luck. Do you think her choice of words will be important? Hmm.