Thursday, October 20, 2016

     I was lucky enough to be blessed with two daughters. I remember being relieved that I had girls, as I didn’t know much of anything about boys. I recall feeling, however, that I’d disappointed my husband that I didn’t give him a son. I wonder where that thinking originated. 

     Both of my daughters are grown successful women, mothers of multiple children, and they are busy with their own set of wonders. I don’t wonder how they would react if they knew I was writing this book. They would both roll their eyes and applaud at the same time. They wonder about me, but they also think I’m a wonder. That’s all good. How about you? What do you wonder? Are you a wonder?

     What does Mr. Webster say about “wonder?” Here are the two official definitions:

1.  to think about things in a questioning, sometimes doubtful way
2.  the feeling of amazed exciting admiration

     The two words that stand out for me are “questioning” and “admiration.” The first of these implies that if you are wondering about something, you are curious and you don’t have all the answers. If you are curious, this tells me you want to learn. If you don’t have all the answers, this implies that you have are a person with some degree of humility. If you like to learn and you are humble, then you are my kind of woman. 

     The second definition, should someone label you as “a wonder,” implies that you have done something out of the ordinary, something perhaps that others have not attempted, or you have honed some skill that sets you apart. For this, people admire you. We all want to be admired, whether it be publicly or privately. If someone calls you “a wonder,” that is a compliment. 

     What do you wonder about? Do you wonder about the same things you did when you were a child? Can you recall what you wondered when you were six? sixteen? twenty-six? forty-six? Some of those questions don’t change. What are you wondering today?