Monday, October 31, 2016

     Do you have trouble staying in the moment? I try so hard, but my creative mind keeps wandering. When I tell it to “chill,” it falls asleep. This is why I must sign up for “Mindfulness 101” . . . again. Yup. Tried it. Liked it. Forgot it. 

     Why do we need to stay in the moment? Sometimes the moment sucks, so why would we want to stay there? (I must ask the professor.) We all know that staying in the moment allows full appreciation and pleasure of the only moment we have—the present one. As you have undoubtedly noticed, many prefer staying in moments from 20, 40, or even 50 years ago. Those people can be rather annoying, as some of us can’t remember phones with cords and life-size dolls you can attach to your feet and dance with. What?

      Staying in the moment ostensibly (I like this word) keeps us “centered” and enjoying the time we have on the planet. For moments when you are receiving the Nobel Prize or spotting your favorite French teacher in a crowd in Provence, this is good. Other than that, I’m not so sure. 

     I want to learn how to stay in the moment in a totally relaxed state, preferably a dreamy state when everything I do or touch turns to gold. The main purpose for me, presently, is to stay focused when I’m performing my piano masterpieces. (Well, I call them that, because I have supposedly mastered them). If I can’t achieve the “dreamy” state, then I’m all tensed up, worried about making mistakes, and the melody sucks. Instead of velvet sounds, they come out like cement. How many music critics have you read that quipped, “She had an amazing cement touch.” I rest my case.


     Do you know how to focus? Can you calm yourself down instantly when presence of mind is needed? Are you the voice of reason? Are you one of those people who just rolls with it and never gets rattled? If so, I envy you. Are you my mindfulness teacher?