Sunday, November 6, 2016

          People are very strange. I am people. I am strange. Our “strange”ness is part of our unique-ness, so I suppose this is nothing new under the sun. Peoples’ behavior, however, never fails to amaze me. 

     Last night, we went to a local blues club where we were enjoying a terrific group of musicians who had the whole place jumping. Suddenly, a couple appeared in front of the bar in our line of sight. She was taller than her male companion by about two inches and slightly larger than him. Her painted on sundress was not as noticeable as the length which barely covered her size extra-large thong. Now that in itself would have been worth a quick glance, but it was her lifting his shirt and rubbing his back while swallowing him whole that was distracting. The couple at the table next to us was completely blocked by their floor show. The woman at the table looked over at us, her eyes rolling, while the lovers continued their rubbing routine. Now if this had been a Faith Hill and Tim McGraw look-a-like duo, we all would have forgotten about the music and just taken it all in. But this couple was far from it. When the man turned around, I gasped. What is wrong with people? I don’t get it. They weren’t young kids; they had to have been at least 50. 
Bad me to judge, but there is a time and a place.

     When I spent time in Paris years ago, I saw people making out on the streets and on the riverbanks all the time. It was common, but these were under 20-somethings. The older French generation just rolled their eyes and acted like this was common, and what could you do? Someone must have taught me in my youth that public physical displays of affection were inappropriate. This all begs the question of my least favorite word, “inappropriate.” The question is not what people were doing that bothers me. What bothers me is that if any indecent or disgusting behavior ceases to shock, then “inappropriate” will just be ignored and ultimately considered acceptable. 

     It’s like vulgarity. If ugly words like “suck” and others I won’t mention become part of our popular culture, then people no longer wince, they become common rhetoric, even showing up in sophisticated literature. The “f” word is no longer a bomb; it’s just an adjective. wtf.

    Whose job is it to ask, “Do you really need to do this here?” Whose responsibility is it to demand that we all speak with gentle tongues and hearts and refrain from vulgar insults and demeaning put-downs? I know. Let’s ask our politicians.