Wednesday, November 30, 2016

  



















HOW DO YOU START YOUR DAY?















     




      How do you start your day? Do you open your eyes and start to soar, or do your eyes pop open, and you say, “Holy shit! It’s Wednesday! Do I have to go?” Are you an early riser or a night owl who eases into the day one baby step at a time? Are you one who’s ready to cheerily chat about what will happen three hours from now, or do you avoid any eye contact in order to remain in a somnambulistic state as long as possible?
     Normally, those who are looking down don’t want to acknowledge the existence of those already flying. They find us totally irritating. Yes, you guessed it; I’m a high flyer. I generally rise between 4:00 and 6:00 a.m. If you are in one category married to one in the other, how’s that working for you? I assume you read each other’s manuals the night before the wedding. 

     Now all of the above is predicated on the assumption that you actually had a decent night’s sleep. Hah. One item not included in my manual was the sinus check. If you marry someone with bad sinuses, your work will be cut out for you for the next 30 years. You must make a decision before you walk down the aisle about how long you want to allow each day for your nap. Some of my friends make fun of me because I take naps almost daily. Well, they should listen to the “Snort and Stir sSymphony” in my bed each night. Then they would understand the need for some honest-to-goodness sleep when I start fading about 2:14 p.m. I have never had the luxury of watching an effen soap, as my eyes start fluttering shortly after lunch. Never did I realize the sacrifices I would have to make to marry the man of my dreams. 

     When I lived in the sorority house in college, I recall my sisters giving me a dirty look when I entered the room smiling and cheerfully bellowing, “Good Morning, everyone!” The expletives flew, and I have been whispering before 8:00 a.m. ever since.

     I digress. For those of you who soar, what goes through your mind at those pre-sunrise hours? Are you making or checking your lists? Are you donning workout clothes to be at the gym before 6:00 a.m.? Are you already rehearsing the morning’s meeting agenda while wolfing down your 17-grain toast? Or are you a stand-at-the-counter person who polishes off a protein shake and races for the brief case? 

     So what’s my point? Is it, “Stop and smell the roses?” Is it “Slow down. Breathe?” Is it “Embrace your differences?” “Attitude is everything?” “Be thankful someone you love is sharing your bed?” Yup.