Wednesday, November 2, 2016

     What motivates you? If you had the time, the energy, the money, the courage, right this minute, what would you do if you knew you wouldn’t fail? How do you get from the thought, “Gee, I wish I could. . . “ to the “Omg. I did it.” Mr. Wonderful said this afternoon, “I just can’t seem to get motivated to do the things I know I need to do.” I replied, “So that’s human. Maybe it’s not the time.” He wasn’t buying that. Nope. He was in his own head trying to figure out why he couldn’t get going. I know when to zip it, so I did.

    I began writing a new book last week. I have written several pages—drafts, of course, but when one of my Toastmaster friends told me tonight that she had written 9 books, I must admit that instead of motivating me, that intimidated me. Now I haven’t read her books, and she hasn’t read my essays, so whatever deflated me was an unknown in my own head. Sometimes we are motivated by what others accomplish, and other times we just want to give up and say, “Why bother?” If everyone did that, there would be no progress in this world. So what’s the point?
The point is that motivation comes from within. It’s not what someone else has done or not done that really pushes us to pick up the pen, the paint brush, the hammer, the want ads; it’s what’s speaking to us inside that pushes us to the starting line. What do you want to do so badly that you would start today if you could? What’s holding you back? 

     Do you know people who energize you? Spend time with them. Do you have authors who inspire you? Read them more than once. Do you have music that soothes you or gets your  adrenaline going? Then listen to it. Play it as loud as you need to until the flame is lit, and you’re ready to roll. My Toastmaster friend is an editor too. She also told me that she just finished a first book written by an 83-year-old man. He’s working on his second. We can soar at any age. Hook up your wings, folks, and let’s all fly!