Tuesday, December 27, 2016

     One pair of broken $700 glasses, three new blouses, six yummy chocolate chip cookies, seven block-out-the-snoring pillow forts, thirteen gift cards, a fun evening with friends, and 1500 miles later, we head back to the warm. Christmas 2016 is almost history, and there’s only twenty hours of highway to cover before we’ll be tucked snug in our own nest. Nope, nothing like family holidays.

     It was all worth it when my 17-year-old grandson looked at me last night and said, “I love you, Mémé.” It was all worth it when I got to spend a couple of hours at the mall with my firstborn talking across the pub table like we were girlfriends from grammar school. It was all worth it when my 14-year-old grandson handed me a box of candy he had put together with



a note that said, “I”m so glad you could make it here for Christmas! I love you guys!” When he hugged me and wouldn’t let go, the tears almost escaped.

     Holiday road trips can be long, boring and expensive, but a couple of sweet thoughts can make it all worthwhile. 

     And then there’s the surprises. I was getting ready to have my picture taken for my upcoming concert, and as I looked down from the stage, walking toward me was my precious daughter and grand-daughter who had taken the red-eye all the way from Phoenix to surprise me. You can’t put a price tag on that. That was a magic trick of love.

     2016 was a year of special moments for me—-a concert of a lifetime with over 200 people in attendance, a major move to a new state bursting with sunshine, dodging a health scare, recognizing the blessings in cherished friendships and the thrill of starting life over in a new home with new friends and exciting opportunities. With so much tragedy and sadness in the world, I am so grateful and humbled. I’m ready, 2017.