Monday, December 19, 2016

         




















     
     Do you remember the magic of your early Christmases? Do you see the magic in the eyes of your children and grand-children? Do you feel the excitement in the air as you walk through a store? Is there still magic in your life? in you?

     What happens to the magic as we grow into adults? Does it get hurt away? Does it get failed away? Does it get bullied into submission?

      I remember vividly the magic of Christmas as I tore open my gifts on Newport Drive at my Grandma’s house. I felt just like my grand-daughter in this picture. Everything was magic, and the tiny dishes inside the package were like diamonds to me. I was embraced with love and attention like all little kids at age five. Where is the magic on this Christmas a half century later?

     In a world full of hate, terror and fear, we need to look for magic and make magic. There is magic all around us, if we look for it. If you aren’t seeing any, then make some. How do you make magic? Is there a formula, a recipe, a prescription? Yes, Virginia, there is. 

     One way to make magic is to plan a surprise for someone. It can be for a total stranger or for someone you love. Part of magic is the element of surprise and wonder. What can you do today to put that wonder on someone’s face? I will make a list for myself, and I challenge you to do the same. Let’s spread the wonder and the joy of magic on this mundane Monday. 

  1. Send flowers to someone sad or ill.
  2. Pay for someone’s coffee at your local coffee shop.
  3. Leave a loaf of bread on a neighbors doorstep.
  4. Give $10 to a bagger at the grocery store.
  5. Tip the waitress an extra $5.


       There are many ways. Add your own, and enjoy the sunshine.