Wednesday, January 4, 2017

     1000 blogs. Yup. I did it. I wrote 1000 essays. Do I get a prize? Nope. Do I get a certificate of accomplishment? Nope. What do I get? I get the satisfaction of having come up with 1000 ways to attempt to make a difference for my readers.  Have I? I don’t know because there is no “comment” button on my blogs. Did I give someone a seed to plant? an idea to pursue? a pat on the back? a reason to keep going? a “yeah, I get it!”? I certainly hope so. Based on the little feedback I have received through the three plus years I’ve been writing my blog, I have succeeded on a small scale in a few of these. So why do I do this every morning between the hours of 3:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.? Because I believe that if I can reach one reader and bring a smile to his lips or an “aha” to his brain, then it will have been time well spent. 

      Let’s talk about TIME today. In a recent film, the main character writes letters to TIME, DEATH and LOVE. I haven’t seen this film yet, but I plan to. Here’s my letter to TIME. What would yours say?

Dear TIME:

     What was I doing when you snuck up on me like this? I must have been preoccupied, as I didn’t see you coming. You never used to play hide and seek with me like this. I always knew you were there, but lately, you appear when I’m least expecting you. Do I want you to give me warning? I’m not sure. 

     I always felt that we were compatible. We got along very well for several years. Lately, though, I feel like you’re not on my side anymore. I feel like we’ve somehow lost our bond. What happened? You were always so kind to me, but now I feel like I’m racing to beat you at something—I’m not sure what. 

      When I was a wee thing, you just hung around, and I wanted you to go away so I could play. As I started to grow up, I always knew you’d be there whenever I needed you. Your presence was just a given. But as the years have passed, I can’t really count on you anymore. You are elusive. It’s like you’re playing an “I dare you” kind of game. You disappear, and I feel like I’m always trying to find you so I can be sure you’re there for me.

     I know one day you will run out on me, and I will never see you again. That will make me sad, I think. Don’t go yet. Stay for a while, and let’s be friends like we used to be. Ok?