It has been over twenty years since we lost you. I know that our relationship was never close, but I’ve been thinking about you recently as I am now the age you were when God took you from us. I never thanked you for the gifts you gave me or told you the things I learned from you—not all of them so bad, I find. I hope you and Dad are up there doing your ballroom dance thing. Do you see my wonderful grandmas and aunts occasionally?
Anyway, here’s my list of because of you:
- I never liked Frank Sinatra.
- I am a pretty decent interior decorator.
- I am often the life of the party.
- I am always beautifully dressed and never without my stilettos.
- I loved my cocktails, even though I can no longer enjoy them
- I am assertive with people that don’t matter.
- I am respected for what I do.
- I don’t cook.
- I don’t smoke.
- I love Florida.
- I love to travel.
- I cherish my female friends.
- I make sure to spend quality time with my daughters.
- I have perfect posture.
- I buy clothes that look good on me, not necessarily what is trendy.
- I used to love to dance until Mr. Wonderful and I could no longer agree on the steps.
- I don’t bowl.
- I don’t play golf anymore.
- I am very organized.
- I don’t cheat on my husband.
- I love to laugh.
- I laugh often at his same dumb jokes.
- I love getting dressed up.
- I don’t wear much jewelry, especially no costume jewelry.
- I don’t throw things when I’m mad.
- I swear to be funny not as much when I’m mad.
- I am flirtatious.
- I love attention, especially from the opposite sex.
- I yell for my team.
- I keep hidden stash.
- I loved my career. It was my oxygen.
- I like strawberries.
There you have it, Mom. I’m thankful you are up there. It’s crazy down here.