Tuesday, February 28, 2017










     Have you ever been “out of sorts?” So what’s a “sort?” And who assigned you your “sort’ lot? What are the “sorts” supposed to do for you, and what is supposed to happen when you’re out of them? 

      Yesterday, I was feeling “out of sorts.” There is a french expression, “Je ne suis pas dans mon assiette.” This means literally “I am not in my plate.” This translates to “I’m not feeling good about things” or “I’m out of sorts.” So, apparently, the French don’t call it a “sort;” they prefer to label it in a culinary fashion. Why should this surprise us with their love of whatever is on their plate? If there’s nothing on the plate, then they should feel bad, I suppose.

      Quel en est le but? (What’s the point?”) The point is that sometimes we just don’t feel grounded or in control of things. We might feel scattered, frustrated, scared, uncomfortable. This is a “sort.” Well, I was out of them yesterday. So what do you do when this occurs, besides writing a blog about it at 4:37 a.m.?  

     Remedies for “out-sorting:”

  1. Lift weights, preferably those over two pounds.
  2. Sit in a sunbeam.
  3. Drink a glass of wine.
  4. Take a nap.
  5. Read a good book.
  6. Meditate.
  7. Take a walk.
  8. Take a ride in a  sports car convertible.
  9. Read your diary from 1953.
  10. Pray.
  

      I hope this blog enlightens you, sort of.