Thursday, March 2, 2017

















Dear Daddy:

     I can’t believe all that has happened in the past year. You wouldn’t believe it. I hope none of the negative dust has drifted up to Heaven and weighed on your wings. We are down here walking around dumbfounded at some of what’s going on. But first, let me start with the positive.

     First, as of today, we are all healthy. This is the most important thing. I always remember you saying “Health is the most important thing. Without it, you have nothing.” As a kid, I looked up at you and shrugged, but today, I know this to be 100% true. I just keep dodging bullets and hope my luck holds out.

      Secondly, we all have beautiful roofs over our heads, we drive reliable cars, we have plenty of clothes to wear, and our bills are paid. I take none of this for granted anymore. Any or all of this can disappear in a heartbeat, so I always say thank you prayers.

      Thirdly, our country is still beautiful, and many people are working hard to protect the environment. We are planning a long trip out west this spring to hike the national parks and breathe in the fresh air. 

     Finally, I continue your legacy of public speaking and musical performance, and I know you would be proud. At my age, some people can’t believe I can walk and talk much less perform, but I keep on struttin’ in Mom’s favorite style—the almighty stiletto. I climb right up there on the stage in front of whoever will attend my concerts, and I proudly echo your melodies.

     So why are we dumbfounded? We have a national leader who hates and abuses women, who threatens to take away our healthcare, who tweets in the middle of the night like a middle school boy, who can barely put a sentence together, who is rude to minorities and the disabled and who wants to send immigrants back to their own countries after they’ve lived and worked here for years. We are dumbfounded. The man lacks class, grace, poise, sophistication and dignity. And, he is a total narcissist. Most of this has nothing to do with his policy or his party—it’s the man to whom I object, not his Republicanism. I don’t care what party you are as long as you represent the majority of the people and have our interests at heart. Our country is divided more than I have ever seen it, and it makes me sad, angry and fearful of what kind of world my grandchildren will live in. 

     There is nothing one can do, and this is supposedly a democracy, so I accept, and I pray.

Love,
Sandy