Thursday, March 9, 2017

                        
                                                THE POWER OF WORDS

     A couple of years ago, I wrote and delivered a speech, entitled, The Power of Words. It was an excellent speech, but I didn’t win. Part of the reason for my not winning was that I messed up the opening line. I didn’t stop or stumble, I just said it wrong. The power of the wrong word meant that I didn’t qualify for the next level of competition. I didn’t lose, however, because the experience of speaking in front of over 300 people was enriching and enlightening. I know I touched a couple of lives that day, as the people approached me and told me so. That in itself, was powerful.

     The reason for putting the same title on this blog is to thank any of you reading this whose kind, caring words crossed my screen over the past few days. When I found myself lying on a gurney in the ER shocked by my dizzy spell which scared the living daylights out of me, your kind words warmed my heart and gave me strength to think positively. 

    A simple, “I’m so sorry,” or “I’ve got you.” or “I’ve been there.” were so comforting. Some of you are former students whom I adored so many years ago and still love to watch on Facebook. Some of you are dear friends who are always there for me. Some of you are former colleagues whom I miss and still cheer on daily. Some of you are people I’ve never met who are friends of friends and chose to reach out. Thank you all. Thank you so much for your kind words of support and caring that truly touched me and helped me recover.