Tuesday, April 4, 2017

    Back home in Detroit, Michigan, where I grew up in a Hollywood fantasy world of white picket fences and happy functional families, I never imagined the kind of world we live in today. I never would have thought that you could stop to help people in an accident and some drunken teenager would plow his car into you. I suppose those things happened in “the good old days,” but media was not instantaneous, and such news would not have made the front page.

     A couple of days ago, some of my former colleagues and their families were touched by the news-breaking story of a young high school athlete who was on his way to church with his parents when they stopped to help a car of teens who had had an accident. The young man jumped out of the car instantly to help. The driver of another car did the same. This one was a 47-year-old doctor who was on her way to work at Henry Ford Hospital. Both of them were hit by another vehicle driven by an inebriated teen. The doctor is still unconscious in
the hospital, and the young man has devastating injuries to his foot. How can this happen when people are being kind enough to stop to help?

     I am so moved by this tragic accident and the random devastation it has caused. My prayers go out to the families. In this case, I’m almost sorry I had empathy training years ago. Once you can put yourself in someone else’s shoes, they become your shoes. Imagine that you are 17 years old, your are a star athlete, and then you are told you may never walk the same again? The jury is still out on his injuries, but this young man will learn many lessons in his recovery. And the doctor who is in critical condition—what will her fate be? She was living her purpose, and I pray she will make a full recovery and continue to help those who need her. 


     This story sure takes my “flu-residue” misery to an issue the size of a dust speck.