Saturday, May 6, 2017

     Last night, Mr. Wonderful and I attended at play, Rich Girl. at one our local theaters. The evening was balmy and breezy, and we had dinner on the patio of the theater restaurant. It was delightful, especially because we were discussing our plans for our 25th wedding anniversary a year from August. We love the discussion stage of planning trips, as we can fantasize about affording them. We have tentatively settled on Sicily and the Amalfi Coast. Our past trips to Italy have included Rome, Venice, Florence, the Lake District and Cinque Terre, so this would be our last Italian adventure. Yes, I will attempt to learn Italian for the third time, as the first two times, I was too intimidated to try what I learned. As we had planned this trip once before, we googled the tour company, and the trip is still available, so we stuck the fantasy in our pockets and headed to the auditorium.

     The play was about a mother/daughter relationship, so I knew Mr. Wonderful wasn’t going to engage easily. He had already read a not-so-complimentary review of the play, so I suggested later that perhaps his view was colored a bit. I never read reviews or plots ahead, as I don’t like to look for things that might be flawed or find out the end before I’ve seen the beginning. It’s like someone telling me what’s inside my birthday package before I open it. wtf.

     The acting was good, not great. The plot was not credible, but I was engaged anyway. We all bring to any book, painting, photograph, concert, play our own experiences and attitudes. I am a mom with two daughters. Why would I not be interested in such a plot? My mom was very critical and judgmental, so the hyper-critical, cruel mom in the play caught my attention for obvious reasons. Mr. Wonderful loved his mom. She walks on water even up there. How could he relate to this dynamic? Those differences aside, the one male in the play did not project well, and this bothered Mr.M. who apparently wanted the guy to be more macho or something. I thought the guy was hot, but Mr. Wonderful didn’t agree. The daughter was excellent, and it was funny that in the last scene, she looked exactly like my younger daughter, Katey, right down to the clothes she wore and how she wore them (tiny and tight). So what’s the point?

      The take away for me was positive, but not for him. Even though this play was not one of the best we’ve seen at this theatre, and we have seen some outstanding productions, the fact that we discussed it for almost a half hour tells me, “Yes, Virginia, theatre has a voice.” It can be the voice of your conscience, your past, your fears, your dreams.” Theater can make you react, reflect and remember. For over two hours, I was taken out of my head and into someone else’s story. That’s a huge plus for me when I attend a play. For Mr. Wonderful, it’s a potential nap opportunity. If he’s awake for an entire performance, it’s definitely a five-star production for him. Theater is an art form, and, therefore, personal to each of us. At the very least, however, it’s a night out with good food, a balmy breeze, a healthy conversation of different points of view and  an opportunity to hear someone else’s voices besides our own.