Friday, May 5, 2017

     Molière, the 17th century playwright, was most recognized for the plays he wrote reflecting society’s morals and behavior. When audiences would watch his plots unfold on stage, they would laugh, but some didn’t recognize that they were laughing at themselves. By using hyperbole, i.e. making his miser so ridiculously greedy, Moliere actually touched the guilt and embarrassment inside people who recognized their own avarice. The beauty of theatre is that it gives not just a voice; it gives a conscience to those who haven’t engaged in recent self-reflection.

     As I watch health care being taken away from my friends who could literally die without it, as I realize that funding for the arts is a thing of the past, as I shudder to think that our environment will not have the protection it needs in the lives of my grandchildren, I realize that our so-called President and his groupies don’t really give a damn. I also realize, however, that the narcissism displayed daily by our leader may be resonating with some of us as we examine our own selfish motives and thoughts. How tragic that the political war that is raging in this country is destroying friendships, causing an increase in the hate movement and allowing bad manners, shameful self-centered kindergarten behavior to become the norm. It’s not just the party; it’s partying about the results. Who celebrates the demise of the poor and the sick? Who rallies against clean air and beautiful land? For the sake of what? 


     I am ashamed, embarrassed and sad for what is happening in this country. I feel powerless and frustrated. But I am also looking inward to see what part of all of this is because I didn’t step up or allow my voice to be heard. How are my arguments any less selfish than those which breed rage in my soul? Molière would have a field day with the American landscape. Good thing he’s resting in peace.