Tuesday, May 23, 2017

     I thought I was at the age where nothing would shock me. Wrong. Last night, as Mr. Wonderful and I celebrated his 77th birthday (you realize he was born in 1940), we witnessed an over-sized Rick Sleeves-Looking man at the next table talking, talking, talking louder, talking some more. He was surrounded at this round table by 7 other people who barely got a chance to say a single sentence in the almost two hours we were there. How can one person talk non-stop like that and not ever think that someone else might want to contribute? I have witnessed this numerous times, but I am always amazed that someone doesn’t interrupt or that the clueless character doesn’t wear himself out. I guess Narcissists have more energy than most. The worst thing you can do with a moron like this is laugh, nod or, heaven forbid, ask a question. I guess it’s good for introverts who don’t want to make an effort or for those who can lose themselves in their own thought despite a mouth flapping across the table, but for my taste (and I would like to taste my food), people like this sicken me. It’s rude, inconsiderate and low class. Fortunately, I have a good grasp on blocking out loud-mouths, so it didn’t spoil our lovely dinner. 

     When we returned to our hotel, there was a young woman sitting in the lobby, her feet up on the couch, talking to her phone as loud as she could. The family sitting on the couch behind her were all on their phones but not talking. They didn’t seem to be bothered, but I thought to myself, “Aren’t we over showing off our tech prowess?” And who taught this woman manners?

     A couple of years ago, I saw an offering in a college catalogue for “Manners 101.” Yes, a course taught at a university to 19 and 20-somethings! Where were their parents all those years? Now they have to pay their kids’ tuition for something they should have taught them in kindergarten.

     I don’t get it.

     It was much more fun waking up in the middle of the night when Mr. Wonderful was exclaiming, “I don’t know why those dogs wouldn’t get back int the jeep. The other dogs got in.
And then that very fat woman at the podium in the square dress. What was that? I wanted to tell her she shouldn’t wear something like that, but I didn’t.” His dreams are hilarious, and I had to hold my stomach at 3:47 a.m. laughing so hard. 

     All in a day’s work, my friends. This comes from Mr. and Mrs. Observer. Enjoy.