Monday, July 3, 2017

     Some may wonder what I have in common with these famous women. The most obvious is that we were all born within seven or eight years of one another—that is, we are all brought up by parents of the “Silent Generation.” That certainly doesn’t mean any of us are




















silent—quite the contrary. These women have all risen to stardom in their own ways, but when people realize the background from which they came, it is even more remarkable that they are still thriving all in their seventies.

     In our generation, women were programmed to be secretaries, teachers or nurses. Most of us were told that the most important role we played was that of a wife and mother. Career women were few and far between in those days, and some even frowned on women working outside the home. Certainly mothers were to be in their aprons making cookies for the PTA meeting. Although I have done no research on these women, I can’t picture any of them pursuing those goals. I was programmed according to the above, but my mother modeled the opposite. Her career was her life, and although this had some serious consequences for my sister and me, I watched her rather than listen to the “program.” 

     Some may not admire a few of these women, but they each have followed their own passions, and that is why they have all left a mark. The real trick, if you want to be a career woman, is to figure out how to juggle family, social obligations, personal time and work so you aren’t exhausted and won’t burn out. It’s exhausting just juggling. Someone will always criticize you for not being home with your kids, while your boss is nagging you about your deadline. This doesn’t even count the conscience which makes you feel guilty if you’re not performing at 100% in every category.


     What I have in common with these women is not the level of fame they’ve achieved. I am passionate about my purpose as they are and have been, and although my fame is in my own mind, I admire these ladies for pursuing their passion and ignoring the naysayers. They all look fabulous for their ages, and I really don’t care what procedures they have endured to look that way. It’s the 21st century. I say do whatever it takes to make you look and feel good. We only have one shot at this, so as long as it hurts no one else, go for it!  What’s a little blood on the chin when you’re leaving a mark on society?