Tuesday, July 11, 2017

     Yesterday was a very strange one. I awoke in a depressed state, very unusual for me. Bad dreams? leftover annoyances from the night before? aging? an extra #2 on the scale? Who knows? I knew what to do: get out the resilience list, and start to work. The best thing to do when I get like this and am not exactly sure the reasons is to keep my mouth shut and get busy.

     The first order of business is always physical exercise. If a long walk, a hearty workout or a high-energy bike ride doesn’t do it, then I know “It” goes deeper. After the beautiful 35-minute walk around a nearby lake, I was felling mildly better. The second step was to head for the coffee shop (I had run out) with my computer. I got my cuppa Joe, took out my laptop and went to work. Researching information for my 4th one-woman show is always great fun. I knew it would distract my mind while the caffeine was doing its magic. By the end of the 40 minutes or so, I was feeling almost human. I headed across the street to the Target to pick up some miscellaneous groceries and a bathing cap. A laugh or two helped. Some young man said, “Do you mean swim cap or bathing cap?” I looked at him clueless and said, “Swim, I guess.” He directed me to the correct aisle, and I picked up the last one. (I want to learn to swim better, and chlorine is not good for the blond follicles). Finally, I asked another man where to find weights to use in pools. He said, “You can use the covered ones.” “Oh,” I said, “I have some of those. Do these make it harder to resist underwater?” He replied with a smirk, “ Actually, it’s easier underwater.” I quipped, “You mean, water aerobics are for sissies?” He chuckled, “I guess you could say that.” “I don’t need those then. Thanks.” and I strutted off almost feeling good.

     I headed home, and Mr. Wonderful and I had a nice chat over lunch on our sunny lanai.
After sharing my morning story with him, he brought up a conversation with friends from the night before, and I plunged right back into mad/sad. Realizing that was what was really bothering me, I decided to take a nap. No sleep due to his snoring had made me tired, so rather than discuss the negative, I took a nap. An hour later, I was able to move on with my day. Fortunately, we had some fun things planned, so I got dressed and again distracted my mind from the negative.

     The rest of the day and evening were as wonderful as the first part was notsomuch. We took a Latin/swing dance lesson, and we laughed at ourselves. I ignored his comment on our way to the next venue when he said, “I don’t know, maybe I’m too old for this.” “No problem,” I said. “I’ll just take the lessons myself. There are others there who need partners.” 

     Off we went in a now black-sky storm to one of our favorite restaurants. My meal was ok, but the taramisu was to die for, and that certainly cheered us both up. We went on to our final destination, a cabaret show in a furniture store. Yup, that’s what I said. My friend, Ann Morrison, a former Broadway actress, was performing her original cabaret production in a contemporary furniture store. There were about 75 people sitting around on the couches, chairs, at marble tables waiting for her to appear. She delivered a one-hour performance that was certainly  Broadway quality. She is a wonderful singer, but a phenomenal actress. She had us laughing and crying. From the beginning, she had us in the palm of her hand, and we were engaged in her life story through pillows and cocktail tables. I was so impressed and so thrilled for her, my new friend, that I was just bursting with joy. 


     So, there you have it—a day with emotions that ran the gamut. If you read between the lines, you will recognize some very useful resilience techniques that work most of the time. If you wake up like I did, try any or all of them. We don’t have to drink, eat, smoke, cry or fret the angst away; there are other options. Thanks, Annie. Adore you!